Skip the noodles and add cauliflower for a better-for-you mac and cheese that’s every bit just as delicious from Delish.com!
yields six servings
- 2 medium heads cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter
- 1/2 c. flour
- 3 c. whole milk
- 1 tsp. hot sauce, such as Cholula
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 c. shredded cheddar
- 2 c. mozzarella
- Finely chopped chives, for garnish
total time: 30 min
- In a large pot of boiling water, blanch cauliflower until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Sprinkle over flour and cook until slightly golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in milk and whisk until combined. Season with mustard powder, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Let simmer until it starts to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in cheeses until they are completely melted. Stir in cauliflower and stir until fully coated in cheese sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with chives. Serve.