- 500g granary, strong, wholemeal or white bread flour
- 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
, plus extra for the flowerpots
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- a little milk
or oil, for brushing
Plus any of these toppings
- 1 tbsp pumpkin, sunflower, sesame or poppy seed
- 4 tbsp grated cheddar or crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary, thyme, oregano, chives or basil
- 1 tbsp chopped olive
or sundried tomatoes
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
You will also need
- 5 small, clean clay flowerpots (see tip below), baking parchment and cling film
- Tip the flour, yeast and salt into a large bowl. Pour in 300ml warm water, the olive oil and honey. Mix with a wooden spoon until the mixture clumps together, then tip out onto a work surface. Use your hands to stretch and knead the dough for about 10 mins, or until it’s smooth and springy. Add a little extra flour if the dough feels too sticky.
- Brush the flowerpots with oil and line the sides with baking parchment. Divide the dough into 5 pieces and shape into smooth balls. Place one ball of dough into each flowerpot and cover with cling film. Leave in a warm place for 1 hr to rise.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. When the dough has doubled in size, remove the cling film from the pots and gently brush with a little milk or oil. Sprinkle with your choice of topping.
- Place the pots on a baking tray in the oven and cook for 20-25 mins until risen and golden. The pots will be very hot, so be careful when removing from the oven. Leave to cool for 10 mins before turning out and eating.