This a super simple version of the traditional Italian Wedding Soup with a twist! This version is also Gluten Free, Dairy Free + Whole 30, Keto Friendly and Paleo (if you hold the parmesan cheese + pasta at the end!) Traditionally, this soup calls for escarole (greens) which you absolutely swap for the spinach and sometimes the recipe included 2 eggs whisked and added in at the end, but the big TWIST is using Lemon Hale Bone Broth as it gives a great new flavor! Bone Broth is an easy and tasty way to sneak in extra protein! Plus the health benefits to bone broth make this recipe a no-brainer for a healthy family meal! Thanks to Hale Bone Broth for sharing this recipe with us!
For the Soup:
* 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
* 1 medium white onion diced
* 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
* Tablespoon of Italian Seasoning
* 3 ribs celery diced
* 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
* 6 cups Hale Bone Broth Original (heated)
* salt + pepper to taste
* Handful of fresh baby spinach
* Fresh basil chopped as a garnish
*optional 2 whisked eggs
1. In a large stock pot, heat your pan to medium-medium high heat and add the evoo. Once hot, add diced onion, celery and carrots Cook for 3-4 minutes.
2. Now add garlic powder, cooked meatballs then add heated Hale Bone Broth and stir. Then bring to a slow boil for a few minutes then lower.
3. Reduce heat to a simmer, let cook uncovered for about 20 minutes. Season with salt + pepper.
4. Add a handful of baby spinach, let it wilt down. Stir.
5. Serve up in a bowl.
6. Top with fresh basil and parmesan cheese.
7. Optional : add whisked eggs into the soup at the end. Stir in.
Also optional : cook small pasta in advance like Pastina (small round balls) and add to your bowl then top with the soup.
For the Meatballs:
*1/2 lb ground beef
*1/2 lb pork
*1 tsp dried basil
*1 tsp dried oregano
*1 tsp garlic powder
Heat oven to a 425. In a medium sized bowl, mix together meat with spices. Roll into 1.5 inch balls, and place on a baking sheet. Cook for 15 mins to get them browned on the outside, then they can cook more in the soup. Remove from oven and set aside.