Enjoy this healthy twist on a fun easy on-the-go meal that can function as a delicious meal or a hearty snack! This universal “kid friendly” favorite is bursting with veggies to add some nutritional value.
- 2 Whole Grain White Flatout Flatbreads (sturdier than regular tortillas)
- 1 cup loosely packed grated Monterey Jack cheese (about 2 ounces)
- ½ cup grated zucchini (about ½ of a medium zucchini)
- ½ heaping cup shredded cooked chicken (or cooked black beans for a vegetarian version)
- ¼ cup corn kernels (fresh or defrosted frozen)
- 4 tablespoons tomatillo salsa , divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or non-stick cooking spray
- ½ avocado
- ½ lime
- Pinch salt
Layer the ingredients in the following order on one half of each Flatout Flatbread, dividing them evenly between the two breads: 1/2 the cheese, zucchini, chicken, corn, 1 tablespoon tomatillo salsa, and remaining cheese. Fold the plain half of each Flatout up and over the cheese and other ingredients so that all edges of each Flatout meet.
Brush the oil in a large skillet or coat with non-stick cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Put the quesadillas in the pan and cook until nicely browned on one side. Use a large spatula to flip the quesadillas over and cook until the second side is browned and the cheese melted.
While the quesadillas cook, make the salsa by putting the remaining 3 tablespoons tomatillo salsa, avocado, a squeeze of lime, and pinch of salt into a mini food processor or blender and blend until smooth. You can also make a chunkier version by mashing the ingredients in a bowl using a fork.
Transfer the cooked quesadillas to a cutting board and cut each one into 3 wedges.
Serve warm with Avocado Salsa on the side.
Enjoy this healthy family friendly recipe from Mom’s Kitchen Handbook with an easy prep and cook time amounting to 15 minutes for busy moms! This recipe yields approximately 2-3 servings (six pieces)