We all scream for ice cream (sandwiches)!
It’s ice cream season! With summer right around the corner, we looked into some classic ice cream recipes that you can make at home. Use whatever flavor ice cream you like. These ice cream sandwiches are great because you can make them in bulk and store them in the freezer with parchment paper. Take a look!
- 1 1/4 cups (9 oz./280 g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 oz./125 g) unsalted butter
- 3 oz. (90 g) unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (6 1/2 oz./200 g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups (9 oz./280 g) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 pints (24 fl. oz./750 ml) ice cream of choice, slightly
First, we have to make the cookie dough:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and lightly butter 2 baking sheets.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Once mixed, set this aside for later.
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat, cook the brown sugar, butter, and chopped chocolate stirring frequently until the chocolate melts. Once it is completely melted, transfer to a bowl and let it cool to lukewarm. This is probably the step that requires the most focus but is most definitely worth it 🙂
- After the chocolate is lukewarm, add egg and vanilla to the mixture and whisk until smooth. Then, add the dry mixture you set aside earlier and stir until completely blended.
- Last addition: the chocolate chips!
- Once completely mixed, cover and refrigerate until firm (about 30 minutes).
- Drop the dough into generous tablespoonfuls onto the buttered sheets, spacing the cookies at least 3 inches apart. You should have about 12 cookies.
- With your fingers, smooth the cookies into slightly flatted rounds, about 3 inches in diameter.
- Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes, or until the edges darken with soft centers. Transfer these to the wire racks to cool completely.
- Lay half of the cookies, flat sides up on a clean, hard surface – like a plate or the counter – and spread about 1/2 cup of the ice cream onto each of the cookies. Top each with one of the remaining cookies to make sandwiches.
- Smooth the sides – or roll them in nuts, chocolate, coconut or the topping of your choice – then wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap. Lay on a clean, dry baking sheet and freeze until firm.