The diaper bag. I love em and hate em. I love them because they hold all of the essentials! I hate them because those adorable handbags I spent years collecting are on rotation as part of my toddler’s dress up routine and don’t make it out for date nights nearly enough! Diaper bags, however have come a LONG way! There are some great diaper bags that are both functional and fashionable and won’t leave you completely missing your go-to clutch!
So without further ado, what’s in my diaper bag? Here are the essentials I can’t live without for an infant and a toddler:
- Diapers, on-the-go wipes and a changing pad, because you can’t always avoid those bathroom changing tables
- A change of clothes for each child, because accidents happen. (Make sure to swap out seasonally. I also keep an extra pair of shoes in my car just incase my toddler has an accident while on the go!)
- Some small toys and crayons (Those crayons have been a lifesaver several times over!)
- A nursing cover or blanket. This one is my favorite as it also doubles as a car seat cover and is so soft and super stretchy!
- Sunscreen and a sunscreen stick for easy application on those little cheeks and noses (even in the winter). See our post on best and worst sunscreens for kids.
- My library card for easy access since we frequent the libraries so often.
- Cash! I always try to keep a twenty dollar bill stashed away somewhere in my diaper bag (Usually for the ice cream truck!)
- An essential oil roller to help keep calm and carry on
- My caudalie grape water hydrating spray because one little spritz leaves me feeling refreshed after toting around an infant and a toddler all day!
- Lastly, this is not so much what goes in the bag but rather what is on the bag — backpack straps! These are essential because when you bend down for the thousandth time each day you don’t want that bag to come swinging off your shoulder taking out your toddler in the process! And its just much more comfortable considering everything you’re carrying inside plus that cute babe of yours!
I’ve been through a few different diaper bags and this one (pictured above) is my absolute favorite!!