Weekend Roundup 11.16
Stay warm this weekend, it’s going to be a chilly one!
With fall in full effect, it is the perfect time to whip up the perfect comfort food meal: tomato soup and grilled cheese!
TSSM has a Mexican twist to these classic recipe’s that is bursting with veggies
guaranteed for mom’s and kids alike to enjoy!
- 2 Whole Grain White Flatout Flatbreads (sturdier than regular tortillas)
- 1 cup loosely packed grated Monterey Jack cheese (about 2 ounces)
- ½ cup grated zucchini (about ½ of a medium zucchini)
- ½ heaping cup shredded cooked chicken (or cooked black beans for a vegetarian version)
- ¼ cup corn kernels (fresh or defrosted frozen)
- 4 tablespoons tomatillo salsa , divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or non-stick cooking spray
- ½ avocado
- ½ lime
- Pinch salt
Enjoy this healthy twist on a fun easy on-the-go meal that can function as a delicious meal or a hearty snack! This universal “kid friendly” favorite is bursting with veggies to add some nutritional value.
We found this amazing recipe from The Seasoned Mom that will give a traditional fall tomato soup a run for it’s money! This recipe is easily adaptable to all diets! For dairy free diets, skip adding the cheese on top. For vegetarian diets, throw in an extra can of beans rather than chicken and use vegetable broth. Easily adaptable to your preferred cooking style, this recipe can be cooked in a slow-cooker, pressure-cooker, or on the stove top!
makes 12 cups
- 4 cups chicken broth (vegetable broth for vegetarian diets)
- 3-4 cups cooked chopped or shredded chicken (the meat from about 1 rotisserie chicken) OR 1 ½ – 2 lbs. uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (2 cans for vegetarian diets)
- 1 4.5 ounce can diced green chilies
- 1 cup taco sauce or salsa of your choice
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Bag of tortilla chips
Optional for Serving: shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions, lime, cilantro, sliced avocado, sour cream
Be on the lookout for some Thanksgiving Day crafts we have carefully selected, that will be sure to add some creative individuality to your table this year!
DID YOU MISS THESE POSTS?
MEET LAURA PEPRON. YOU MAY KNOW HER FROM HER ROLES ON THAT 70’s SHOW OR ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK, BUT HEAR MORE ABOUT HER EXPERIENCE IN THE MOST IMPORTANT ROLE YET…MOM.
Check out some other great features of TSSM!